Marije van der Tol
Attorney & Rechtsanwältin
Marije van der Tol is specialised in Dutch and German employment law. From her experience, resolving and preventing legal problems quickly and efficiently demands more than simply being able to quote employment law and speak different languages. Marije is one of few employment law attorneys that are not only registered to deal with legal issues in both the Netherlands and Germany. She also has the experience of living and working in both countries as an employment attorney for many years. Dutch by background, Marije is admitted to the Dutch Bar Association since 1996, working as an employment law attorney. For several years she was Partner in a mid-size law firm in Amsterdam. From 2011 und 2017 she worked as an employment law attorney in Germany in the field of German employment law. Since 2014 she is admitted to the German Bar Association.
This means Marije not only has an applied working knowledge of the law as it applies to your business, she also knows the cultural and courtroom similarities and differences between the Netherlands and Germany, which can make all the difference in looking after you and what’s important to you.
Marije communicates fluently not only in Dutch and German but also in English due to many years of experience working for clients that have English as their corporate language. So irrespective of where you live, or where your business operates, Marije is able to communicate with you and the people you’re dealing with in your / their own language.
Marije van der Tol advises and litigates for national and international companies in the field of employment law. She also represents Managing Directors and other key personal.
This includes contract work, dismissal cases, non-competition issues, as well as subjects relating to works council and collective labour issues. She assists many Entrepreneurs and HR staff in their day-to-day employment issues, but also in company restructuring, collective redundancies and employment benefit plans and policies.
Over the course of the years Marije has built up a valuable network of other professionals, that are at the disposal of her clients if necessary. These include tax lawyers, salary administrators, HR advisors and recruiters, as well as attorneys that are specialised in other fields of law than HELEX Law.
Marije van der Tol is a member of the Dutch Bar Association, the German Bar Association, the German-Dutch Attorneys Association, the Rotterdam Employment Attorneys Association, the Dutch Association for Employment Law, the German-Dutch Business Forum and the DACH European Lawyers Association.
Marije van der Tol has registered Employment Law as her principal and International Employment Law as her secondary legal practice areas in the Netherlands Bar’s register of legal practice areas "(rechtsgebiedenregister"). Based on this registration, she is required to obtain ten training credits per calendar year in each registered principal legal practice area in accordance with the standards set by the Netherlands Bar.
- Advising a Dutch logistics company on a day-to-day basis on all matters concerning the German employees working for their subsidiary company in Germany including representation in the German Labour Courts.
- Co-litigation in administrative proceedings in Germany against German Customs concerning the applicability of the German Minimum Wage Act on foreign employers in the transport branche.
- Advising a Dutch retail company on a day-to-day basis on all matters concerning the German employees employed at local shops of their subsidiary company in Germany including representation in the German Labour Courts.
- Restructuring the employment contracts of German staff of an Asian Company to their Dutch subsidiary company in the Netherlands.
- Setting up an agency structure in Germany for a Dutch Sales Company in the Netherlands
- Masters of Law and Masters in European Studies in Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1995
- Postmasters of Labour law, Nijmegen, Netherlands, 2002
- Masters of German Law (LL.M.) with focus on Labour law, Würzburg, Germany, 2011
- Attorney at Law, Rasker & Wibbens Advocaten, Amsterdam 1996-1999, Employment law Attorney, Labré Advocaten, Amsterdam 1999-2010, Partner 2000 - 2010, Manager of the German Desk 2010-2016.
- Employment law Attorney, Cornea Franz Rechtsanwälte, Würzburg, Germany, 2011-2017, admission to the German Bar Association in 2014
- Founder of HELEX Law (Advocatuur), law firm specialised in Dutch and German Employment Law, Rotterdam, Netherlands, 2017-2018
- Co-founder of HELEX Law (Advocaten & Rechtsanwälte), law firm specialised in Dutch and German Employment and Company Law, Rotterdam 2018.
Languages: Dutch, German and English